Prevention and oral health education
There are many steps you can take for a healthier smile. Although we are skilled to treat a variety of dental needs from cavities to root canals, we prefer to use this skills as little as possible. This begins with a good oral hygiene routine and prevention of cavities and gum disease.
Steps to a Healthy Smile:
- Make healthy food choices. Eat a balanced diet for good overall health. Limit sugary foods and drinks as they cause cavities.
- Practice good oral hygiene. Brush your teeth twice a day for three minutes with fluoride toothpaste. Use floss or other interdental cleaner between your teeth once a day to remove food and plaque from under the gumline. Finish your routine by rinsing with mouthwash.
- Visit your dentist regularly. Regular visits help treat problems early and give the dentist a chance to check for cavities, gum disease, and oral cancer. A regular cleaning also helps remove plaque and stains from your teeth and prevent gum disease. It keeps your smile sparkling!
- Avoid tobacco in any form. Cigarettes, cigars, and chewing tobacco increases your risk for gum disease, tooth loss, and oral cancer.
- Wear a mouthguard. Mouthguards help prevent broken teeth and injuries to lips, tongue, face, or jaw. Mouthguards are useful if you clench or grind your teeth or play sports.